The information has been provided by iDefense.
The original article can be found at: http://labs.idefense.com/intelligence/vulnerabilities/display.php?id=456
* Yahoo Instant Messenger version 8.0
* Yahoo Instant Messenger version 7.5
* Previous versions are suspected vulnerable as well.
This vulnerability can be triggered by a malicious website. Users would be required to have a vulnerable version of the target software installed and be lured to a malicious site.
The vulnerability specifically lays with in the following ActiveX Control:
The overflow is triggered by setting the TextETACalculating property to an overly long string.
Yahoo has addressed this vulnerability within version 2005.1.1.4 of their Messenger product.
This version sets the kill bit for the affected control.
* 10/26/2006 - Initial vendor notification
* 12/15/2006 - Initial vendor response
* 12/15/2006 - Coordinated public disclosure