The information has been provided by Secunia Research.
The original article can be found at: http://secunia.com/secunia_research/2006-54/
* Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
* Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
* Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
* Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems
* Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
* Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
The vulnerability is caused due to an input validation error in the Object Packager (packager.exe) in the handling of the "Command Line" property. This can be exploited to spoof the filename and the associated file type in the Packager security dialog by including a "/" slash character in the "Command Line" property.
cmd /c [shell command] /[file].txt
This can further be exploited to execute arbitrary shell commands on a user's system by tricking a user into opening and interacting with e.g. a malicious Rich Text document or Word document containing an embedded Package object in e.g. WordPad.
See solution provided at: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-065.mspx
28/06/2006 - Vendor notified.
28/06/2006 - Vendor response.
11/09/2006 - Vendor contacted (status requested).
10/10/2006 - Vendor issues security bulletin MS06-065.
11/10/2006 - Public disclosure.